the scoop

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~Aristotle

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Throwback Tuesday: a post from 2005

A Treatise on the Weather: I love the rain. And I prefer non-sunny days to sunny ones. Really the darker the better, but I'll take overcast over sunny. When I tell people this, they usually don't believe me, or think it's weird, but that's okay. I usually say, "if no one was happy on this kind of day, EVERYONE would be in a bad mood!" I am actually happier all day when it's gloomy outside (I call it an Eeyore day). But why? When did this happen?

Reason 1: I don't like to squint, or wear sunglasses.

Reason 2: I don't like to see all the dust in my house and in the air. Sunlight exposes every speck of the stuff. Bleh. It makes me sneeze just thinking about it.

Reason 3: I like the way rain looks on things - windows, pavement, leaves on the ground and in the trees, grass when it's gotten the chance to turn a bit green...

Reason 4: I like the way rain smells. The combination of everything wetted down, with the rare exception in some locations of, say, trash or something, is heavenly to my nostrils. I take a much bigger damp breath than a dry, sunny one.

Reason 5: I get to decide how bright to make it in the house - turn on lights or not, light a candle or not...

Reason 6: Some of my favorite songs are either about rain, or it plays a feature role in the story.  These are just a few off the top of my head!:

Rainy Day People (Gordon Lightfoot)
The Rainy Season (Marc Cohn)
Looking at the Rain (Gordon Lightfoot)
Storms (Fleetwood Mac)
Rain (Madonna)
Blame it on the Rain (Milli Vanilli)
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head (BJ Thomas)
Singin' in the Rain (the musical)
Good Rain (Chris and Johnny/Storyhill)
Love a Rainy Night (Eddie Rabbit)
Driving My Life Away (Eddie Rabbit)
Bobby McGee (Janis or Gordon Lightfoot)
Ironic (Alanis Morrisset)
Rain Down (Phil Collins)
Tom's Diner (Suzanne Vega)
Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot)
Fire and Rain (James Taylor)

Seriously - that is just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are others?!

Umbrellas and raincoats make me laugh.  "Oh no!  I will get covered with something that will soon evaporate..."  I mean, it's not PUDDING for crying out loud!  Of course, I've never been an "oh no, my hair" type person, so I suppose if I'd spent even a few minutes stylin' and sprayin' in the am I wouldn't want that to be compromised.  Still, I laugh when I see people, with nothing to protect but their bodies, wearing raincoats or sportin' umbrellas.

*I think there is a distinct difference between love of rain and love of grey days.  I mixed the two.  I like my grey days without rain, too.  I suppose it goes: Rain, Grey, Partially Sunny, Sunny.  Fave to least.

No comments:

Post a Comment